You can scan the Sponsor Update Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also fax or mail it to:
Board of Social Work Examiners
4201 Patterson Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21215
Fax number: 410-358-2469
Continuing Education Requirements COMAR 10.42.06
Continuing education programs must meet the Board's regulatory requirements for approval. The Board does not promote continuing education programs, nor does the Board endorse the content of any program that it approves.
Continuing Education Information
Please note that the information provided below is not a substitute for the Continuing Education Requirements as described in the regulations. However, the information can be used as a guide for some of the areas in the regulations.
The current continuing education requirement is to complete 40 (30 for LBSW's) continuing education units (CEUs) in programs and categories approved by the Board for each two-year period of licensure.
Category I credit can only be provided by Board Authorized Sponsors.
The Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners accepts continuing education units offered by Association of Social Work Boards, National Association of Social Workers, and Board Authorized Sponsors. Not only must the continuing education sponsor be approved, but the content must meet the Board's continuing education regulations (COMAR 10.42.06
). The objectives of the continuing education requirements include: maintenance and enhancement of professional competence, ongoing improvement of professional skills and knowledge, and enrichment of social work services provided to the citizens of Maryland.
What if a Board Authorized Sponsor reviews and approves a program of an “unapproved” sponsor?
Category I CEUs may be earned in this situation if the Board Authorized Sponsor takes responsibility for the program, places their agency/ organization name on and signs the certificate of participation and indicates that they co-sponsored the program.
Board Authorized Sponsors
The following sponsors may provide training in Category I and Category II learning activities:
- Recognized state, regional, national, or international social work associations
- National, regional, or state accredited academic institutions offering academic courses or programs recognized as acceptable social work curriculum subject areas
- National level non-social work professional organizations that are relevant to the professional development of social workers
Directory of Board Authorized Sponsors
If you wish to review a list of authorized providers and/or programs, you should review the information listed on the websites for ASWB and NASW, as well as the Authorized Sponsors page on this web site.
Back to Top
Home Study Programs
A licensee can earn up to 20 (15 for LBSW's) Category II continuing education units from home study programs. The home study program must be provided by a Board Authorized Sponsor (COMAR 10.42.06.04.E.07).
Effective November 1, 2017 all licensed social workers are required to obtain three (3) Category I or Category II continuing education units, every two years, in the content area focusing on ethics and professional conduct, including boundary issues. The program must be given by a Board Authorized Sponsor.
The content area must be related to social work ethics and professional conduct which may include maintaining appropriate boundaries with clients and a review of the social work statute and Code of Ethics as it relates to conduct which is consistent with generally accepted professional standards. In addition, the content of the program may address issues related to avoiding dual relationships and the acceptance of gifts.
Since many mental health professionals require their licensees to take similar ethics programs, you may be receiving notices of programs offered by their national professional associations who are approved by the Board to provide Category I continuing education units. It would be appropriate to participate in their programs.
Back to Top
Category I Activities
- Programs given by Board Authorized Sponsors which are comprised of a minimum of 1 hour on a single subject .
- Live real-time interactive transactions between teachers and learners ( may include face to face and interactive technology).
- Courses, seminars, workshops, symposiums, conferences, staff development, grand rounds and attendance or presentation of programs offered at professional or scientific meetings
- At least 20 (15 for LBSW's) of the required CEUs must be earned in this Category.
- All 40 (30 for LBSW's) credit units may be earned in this Category.
- An official transcript for academic courses; or
- A certificate of participation on agency / organization letterhead, which is signed and dated by the authorized sponsor indicating CEUs earned.
Back to Top
Category II Activities
- In-service trainings, structured peer-case conferences, journal clubs, preparation and presentation of a scientific or professional paper at a meeting of a professional or scientific organization; authoring a professional publication; preparing and presenting Category I activities. (Refer to COMAR 10.42.06.04.E) for calculating maximum number of credit units.)
- Online learning including webinars and home-study courses provided by a Board Authorizes Sponsor.
- Twenty (20) (15 for LBSW's) of the required 40 credit units may be earned in this category.
- A certificate of participation, or
- If a certificate of participation is not available: the dates when the program was presented; the name(s) of the presenter(s); topics presented; and an outline of the presentation (this could be from your notes).
- Post-test passing score for audio-visual and home study programs or a certificate of participation.
- Proof of presentation made, reprints of publications, official documentation from educational institutions when credit is claimed for the instruction of students;
- Dates, times and names of participants in structured peer-case conferences and journal club activities on agency/ organization's letterhead. (In addition. review Spring 2017 BSWE Newsletter article.)
Back to Top
- No credit can be earned for activities related to consultation or the provision of and participation in planned supervisory activities as a supervisor or supervisee.
- Social workers shall retain records documenting completion of continuing education requirements for 3 year after the licensing renewal date. The Board conducts a random audit of licenses renewed each year.
- A credit hour means 1 hour and includes the terms “contact hour”, “clock hour”, “hour “ or “continuing education credit ". If continuing education units are expressed in percentages, then .3 CEUs equals 3 credit units.
- Any program that lasts 60 minutes provides 1 continuing education credit unit.
- One academic credit is equal to 5 credit units (COMAR 10.42.06.04.C.)
- A social worker can request an extension in time of the continuing education requirements based upon a handicap, prolonged illness, or other undue hardship.