All sections of the application must be completed and the 'Applicant's Affidavit' must be signed and dated. It does not need to be notarized.
All documentation must be original on the forms currently in used by the Board and submitted as a complete application packet.
Licensure By Examination
If an applicant has not passed the required licensing examination, then the applicant must apply for licensure by examination. The application is submitted to the Board for approval to sit for the required examination.
Licensure By Endorsement
If you have or had a social work license in another state and became licensed by taking the required examination then apply by endorsement. Apply for the level which is comparable to the license you hold or held based on the level of examination you passed and Maryland’s licensing requirements.
Licensure By Endorsement
After practicing social work at an advanced (advanced generalist or clinical) licensure level for at least 5 years out of the past 10 years. An applicant with at least 5 years of advanced social work practice out of the past 10 years and passed a licensing exam: ACSW, State Constructed or ASWB)
Licensed Bachelor Social Worker (LBSW) shall have:
- obtained a BACCALAUREATE DEGREE IN SOCIAL WORK from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) shall have:
obtained a MASTER’S OF SOCIAL WORK DEGREE from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Certified Social Worker (LCSW) shall have:
- obtained at least two years, consisting of not less than 104 weeks, of at least 3,000 hours of supervised social work experience;
- 100 hours of periodic face-to-face supervision in the practice of social work which is obtained under a *contractual agreement form for supervision; and
Certified Social Worker-Clinical (LCSW-C) shall have:
- Obtained at least two years, consisting of not less than 104 weeks, of at least 3,000 hours of supervised clinical social work experience in direct service to clients. Half of the 3,000 hours, 1,500hours, shall consist of face-to-face client contact;
- 100 hours of periodic direct face-to-face supervision while obtaining clinical social work experience which is obtained under a *contractual agreement form for supervision;
- supervision in the assessment, formulation of a diagnostic impression, and treatment of mental disorders and other conditions and the provision of psychotherapy
- documentation of twelve academic credit hours in clinical course work from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
THE SOCIAL WORK EXPERIENCE OBTAINED IN MARYLAND FOR THE LCSW OR THE LCSW-C LICENSE MUST BE OBTAINED POST THE ISSUANCE OF THE LGSW LICENSE AND UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A QUALIFED, REGISTERED AND BOARD APPROVED SUPERVISOR. *THE CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT MUST BE INITIATED PRIOR TO STARTING SUPERVISION FOR ADVANCED LICENSURE
* The Written Contract
must be initiated prior to starting supervision for advanced licensure.
The Board will not accept any social work experience obtained in Maryland for advanced licensure which was obtained prior to an LMSW and/or when the social work supervisor was not Board approved.
Continued Approval to sit for a Licensing Examination
The initial approval to sit for a licensing examination is valid for two years. If after two years the applicant has not taken or passed the examination, she/he must apply for 'Continued Approval.'
Reactivating An Inactive License Within 5 years of the expiration date
In order to Reactivate a INACTIVE license, an individual must complete an Application for Reactivation; submit the reactivation processing fee and the CE Report Form with the documentation of having obtained the required continuing education credit hours. The credit hours must be earned in the two years preceding the application for reactivation.
Reinstating a Non-Renewed License Within 5 years of the expiration date
In order to Reinstate a NON-RENEWED license, an individual must complete an Application for Reinstatement; submit the reinstatement processing fee and the CE Report Form with the documentation of having obtained the required continuing education credit hours. The credit hours must be earned in the two years preceding the application for reactivation
Re-licensure Application After 5 years of expiration date
After 5 years from the expiration date, an individual must apply for re-licensure. The current licensing requirements must be met.