• English

    Google Translate Disclaimer

    The Maryland Department of Information Technology (“DoIT”) offers translations of the content through Google Translate. Because Google Translate is an external website, DoIT does not control the quality or accuracy of translated content. All DoIT content is filtered through Google Translate which may result in unexpected and unpredictable degradation of portions of text, images and the general appearance on translated pages. Google Translate may maintain unique privacy and use policies. These policies are not controlled by DoIT and are not associated with DoIT’s privacy and use policies. After selecting a translation option, users will be notified that they are leaving DoIT’s website. Users should consult the original English content on DoIT’s website if there are any questions about the translated content.

    DoIT uses Google Translate to provide language translations of its content. Google Translate is a free, automated service that relies on data and technology to provide its translations. The Google Translate feature is provided for informational purposes only. Translations cannot be guaranteed as exact or without the inclusion of incorrect or inappropriate language. Google Translate is a third-party service and site users will be leaving DoIT to utilize translated content. As such, DoIT does not guarantee and does not accept responsibility for, the accuracy, reliability, or performance of this service nor the limitations provided by this service, such as the inability to translate specific files like PDFs and graphics (e.g. .jpgs, .gifs, etc.).

    DoIT provides Google Translate as an online tool for its users, but DoIT does not directly endorse the website or imply that it is the only solution available to users. All site visitors may choose to use alternate tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use DoIT content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk. DoIT is not liable for any loss or damages arising out of, or issues related to, the use of or reliance on translated content. DoIT assumes no liability for any site visitor’s activities in connection with use of the Google Translate functionality or content.

    The Google Translate service is a means by which DoIT offers translations of content and is meant solely for the convenience of non-English speaking users of the website. The translated content is provided directly and dynamically by Google; DoIT has no direct control over the translated content as it appears using this tool. Therefore, in all contexts, the English content, as directly provided by DoIT is to be held authoritative.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    1. What do I have to do in order to work as a nursing home administrator in the State of Maryland?

    You must be licensed by the Maryland Board of Long-Term Care Administrators before working in Maryland. Maryland does not have a temporary or provisional license, therefore, you cannot work as the administrator of a comprehensive care facility in Maryland until all requirements are met and the Board issues the license.

    Back to Top

    2. If I am licensed in another state, may I work until I receive my Maryland license?

    No. We will assist you in receiving your Maryland license as quickly as possible. However, the Board cannot exempt you from the requirement of having a Maryland license.

    Back to Top

    3. How do I become licensed in Maryland?
    • By completing the AIT program:
      Most applicants for licensure are entering the field of Nursing Home​​, and must complete one year in a Board-approved Administrator-In-Training (AIT) program.  To enter a program, please contact the office for a complete application packet.  You must have a baccalaureate degree before entering the program, and the program must be pre-approved by the Board before beginning.
    • By endorsement
      If you meet the educational requirements, and have worked as a licensed nursing home administrator in another state for at least one year within the past five years, you can file an application and take the State's Standards examination.  Upon an evaluation of prior experience by the Board, passage of the State's Standards exam, and final approval by the Board, a license can be issued to you.  If you have less than one year of experience as a nursing home administrator, it will be necessary for you to meet the one year by either having experience in another category under COMAR, or going into a Board-approved AIT program.  If your experience falls outside of the five-year time frame established by regulation, you will have to qualify for licensure by completing the full one-year AIT program and meet the other requirements for licensure.
    Back to Top

    4. How can I get a temporary license?

    Maryland does not have a temporary or provisional license.  You must meet all requirements for licensure (experience, education, and examination) before a license can be issued ? see 3 above.

    Back to Top

    5. What is a passing score on the national licensing examination?

    The national examination is a computer-based examination with a passing scale score of 113.  Please refer to the National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB) website for more information on the examination.  The website address is:  www.nabweb.org .

    Back to Top

    6. What happens if I fail the national licensing examination?

    If you fail the examination, you can register at any time, and submit the required fees.  

    Back to Top

    7. What is a passing score on the State's Standards examination?

    You must receive a passing score of 75% on the State exam.  There are 100 multiple choice questions on this exam, and the questions are taken from the following COMAR regulation books:

    1.  10.07.02 - Comprehensive Care Facilities and Extended Care Facilities - 55 questions
    2.  10.07.09 - Residents' Bill of Rights: Comprehensive Care Facilities and Extended Care Facilities - 20 questions
    3.  10.09.10 - Nursing Facility Services - 10 questions
    4.  10.09.24 - Maryland Medical Assistance Program - 5 questions
    5.  10.15.03 - Food Service Facilities - 10 questions
    Back to Top

    8. How often is the State's Standards examination administered?

    The State's Standards exam is now a computer-based test available online.  Please refer to the National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB) website at www.nabweb.org for more information on the examination.  Before sitting for the examination, all candidates must have already filed an application for licensure, or be in an approved AIT program.

    Back to Top

    9. How can I file a complaint against a nursing home administrator?  How do I file a complaint about the care rendered in a nursing home?

    If you have a complaint against a nursing home administrator, you can download a complaint form from this website, or contact the office for a copy of the complaint form.  If you have a complaint about the care being rendered in a nursing home, you must file the complaint with the Office of Health Care Quality.  You can contact that office by telephone at (410) 402-8201, or visit their website at: https://health.maryland.gov/ohcq/Pages/home.aspx .

    Back to Top

    10. Do I need a license to operate an assisted living facility in Maryland?

    Assisted living facilities must be licensed through the Office of Health Care Quality (410) 402-8217.  The managers/operators are certified through that office.  You can visit their website at: https://health.maryland.gov/ohcq/Pages/home.aspx .

    Back to Top

    11. How can I become certified as a preceptor in Maryland?

    A. The Board shall issue a certificate of qualification to be a preceptor in the AIT program if the following conditions are met:

    (1) The preceptor holds and has held a license from the Board for 1 year or longer;

    (2) The proposed preceptor has been satisfactorily employed in nursing home administration for a minimum of 3 years as the nursing home administrator of record;

    (3) The proposed preceptor has no disciplinary action pending nor is currently under investigation by the State Board of Long-Term Care Administrators;

    (4) Persons seeking certification as preceptors in the AIT program shall submit evidence of the successful completion of a Board-approved training program for preceptors; and

    (5) The proposed preceptor:

    (a) Has been employed full time as a nursing home administrator of record for a minimum of 2 of the past 3 years immediately before application to precept; or

    (b) Meets the following qualifications:

    (i) Works on the same property as the nursing home where the AIT program will be conducted and meets the standard in Regulation .02B(7)(b) of this chapter;

    (ii) Is able to demonstrate to the Board the proposed preceptor’s active, direct, and material management and daily operations of the nursing home; and

    (iii) Has been actively licensed as a nursing home administrator for a minimum of 5 years immediately before application to precept.

    B. If the proposed preceptor has not precepted an AIT program within the past 5 years, the proposed preceptor shall recertify as a preceptor by completing a Board-approved training program.

    C. The Board may disapprove a preceptor for a training program:

    (1) If the preceptor has failed to remain in compliance with this chapter; or

    (2) At any time for good cause.​

    Back to Top

    12. How many hours of continuing education are required for renewal?

    You must complete 40 hours of NAB approved continuing education during your two-year license renewal cycle.

    Back to Top

    13.  How many continuing education hours can be carried over into the next renewal cycle?

    No continuing education hours can be carried over into another renewal cycle.

    Back to Top

    14.  How many continuing education hours can be pursued via correspondence or internet?

    There is no limit to the number of hours you can acquire for renewal by pursuing correspondence or internet programs.  However, all continuing education courses must be approved by the National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB).

    Back to Top

    15.  If I receive a flyer advertising a course that has not been approved by NAB, can I ask for individual approval?

    No, only NAB approved programs will be accepted by the Maryland Board.  

    Back to Top

    16.  Can I purchase mailing labels of all nursing home administrators?

    Yes, a roster is available in an Excel or Text File format only.  The cost is $100.00.  The check should be made payable to the BENHA.  

    Back to Top

    17.  Can I have my name removed from the mailing list that is available for purchase?

    Yes, please advise this office if you wish your name removed from the public mailing list.  Your name will remain on the private mailing list maintained by this office for the purpose of mailing newsletters, regulations, and any other Board related materials that needs your attention as a licensed administrator.

    Back to Top

    18. How can I get more information?

    More detailed information regarding the licensure process may be obtained by calling the Board office at (410) 764-4750.  You can also contact us by e-mail at:  CiaraJ.Lee1@maryland.gov.

    Back to Top

    Revised: November​ 09, 2022