Community health workers go by many titles, depending on where they work, who they work for, and what they do. Common titles include promotores(as) de salud, health coach, community health advisor, community health coach, lay health advocate, family advocate, community health care worker, health educator, liaison, promoter, outreach worker, peer counselor, patient navigator, health interpreter, public health aide, community health representative, outreach specialist, and more.
Maryland's CHW Core Competencies:
1. Advocacy and community capacity building skills
2. Effective oral and written communication skills
3. Cultural competency
4. Understanding of ethics and confidentiality issues
5. Knowledge of local resources and system navigation
6. Care coordination support skills
7. Teaching skills to promote health behavior change
8. Outreach methods and strategies
9. Understanding of public health concepts and health literacy
Contact the CHW Team at MDH.CHWApplications@maryland.gov or 410-767-5971.