Community Health Worker Certificate Renewal
Maryland Certified Community Health Worker (CCHW) Certificate Expiration and Renewal Key Points
The following key points summarize Maryland’s CCHW expiration and renewal process.
- A CHW certificate is effective for two years from the date issued.
- There is no fee for certification renewal.
- A CCHW should be prepared to submit their certificate renewal application 30 days prior to expiration.
- Renewal requirements include:
- Submission of a community health worker certificate renewal application through the Maryland OneStop portal.
- Contact the CHW Team at 410-767-5971 or MDH.CHWApplications@Maryland.gov to request a paper application in English or Spanish
- Documentation of 20 hours of a broad range of professional development activities.
- Examples of professional development activities include employer-sponsored trainings; conferences; webinars; online trainings; Maryland Community Health Worker Association monthly meetings; community-related meetings, committee, or workgroups that contain an educational component; or other educational opportunities or trainings.
- Professional development activities need to include:
- A written explanation of acquired knowledge and/or skill application of duties; and
- The CHW core competency or health principle associated with the activity.
- A CCHW must notify the Department upon name or contact information change.
- Click here for Certified Community Health Worker (CCHW) Certificate Renewal PowerPoint presentation shared at the CHW Certificate Renewal webinars.
Important Application Documents:
Things to know about certification renewal for CCHWs in Maryland:
- CCHWs may begin a Certificate Renewal Application at any time.
- CCHWs may submit their online Certificate Renewal Application with the required documentation 90 days prior to their certificate expiration date.
- The Certificate Renewal Application is open on Maryland OneStop so that CCHWs may enter information and upload Professional Development Activities Tracking Sheet(s).
- The Certificate Renewal Application and uploaded documents will remain in Draft mode until the application is submitted.
- For the best online application experience, please use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari as your web browser. You may experience issues using Internet Explorer.
Webinars: Community Health Worker Certificate Renewal Application
Contact the MDH CHW team at 410-767-5971 or MDH.CHWApplications@Maryland.gov.