Maryland Certified Community Health Worker (CCHW) Certificate Expiration and Renewal Key Points
The following key points summarize Maryland’s CCHW expiration and renewal process.
- A CHW certificate is effective for two years from the date issued.
- There is no fee for certification renewal.
- A CCHW should be prepared to submit their certificate renewal application 30 days prior to expiration.
- Renewal requirements include:
- Submission of a community health worker certificate renewal application through the Maryland OneStop portal.
- Documentation of 20 hours of a broad range of professional development activities.
- A CCHW must notify the Department upon name or contact information change.
- Click here for Certified Community Health Worker (CCHW) Certificate Renewal PowerPoint presentation shared at the CHW Certificate Renewal webinars.
Important Application Documents:
Things to know about certification renewal for CCHWs in Maryland:
- CCHWs may begin a Certificate Renewal Application at any time.
- CCHWs may submit their online Certificate Renewal Application with the required documentation 30 days prior to their certificate expiration date.
- The Certificate Renewal Application is open on Maryland OneStop so that CCHWs may enter information and upload Professional Development Activities Tracking Sheet(s).
- The Certificate Renewal Application and uploaded documents will remain in Draft mode until the application is submitted.
- The 'Submit' button appears in the application, but will not be activated until August 1, 2021.
- For the best online application experience, please use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Safari as your web browser. You may experience issues using Internet Explorer.
CCHW certificate renewal applications shall be submitted 30 days prior to the certificate expiration date.
Please allow up to 90 days for processing after a complete certifcate renewal application has been submitted.
Contact the MDH CHW team at 410-767-5971 or MDH.CHWApplications@Maryland.gov.