In 1882 the Maryland State Legislature enacted the Anatomy Act establishing anatomic donation in the State of Maryland. This was jointly administered by the faculty and staff of both Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the University of Maryland School of Medicine worked together to meet the requirements of city and county ordinances, which directed unclaimed bodies to the medical schools for care and educational purposes. This collaboration under the Anatomy Act was the start of what today is the State Anatomy Board.
In the 1930s, under the authority of Dean Ulenhouth (pictured), the donor program was moved to the University of Maryland School of Medicine. Later, in 1947, by an act of the General Assembly of the State of Maryland, the State Anatomy Board was created. At the time, it consisted of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and the University of Maryland School of Dentistry working in partnership with the State of Maryland.
In the early 1960s, the Maryland Anatomical Gift Act was passed, which formed the basis of the Uniform Anatomic Gift Act that was adopted by most states. In 1975, the State Anatomy Board moved to its current location within the University of Maryland School of Medicine and law was changed to include the Uniformed Services University Health Sciences School of Medicine as a member of the Board.
Eduard Carl Adolf Uhlenhuth, 1885-1961. Professor of Anatomy, University of Maryland, School of Medicine.