Effective May 21, 2018, DVR will not be processing same day corrections.
Corrections/amendments can be made to a birth or death certificate by submitting an amendment form to the DVR. We are unable to make corrections to marriage and divorce records. Please contact the District Court in the Jurisdiction in which the event occurred for changes to these records.

Birth Certificates Corrections

A birth certificate  registered by the State Registrar may be amended in accordance with Md. Code Ann., Health-General § 4-214. The State Registrar adopts rules governing the form of these requests and the type and amount of proof required. 

To request a change to a birth certificate, you may mail us the Request to Amend a Birth Record Form with a $10 amendment fee and a $10 certificate fee, and note on the form what type of change is needed, or you may visit our location at 6764-B Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, MD 21215. Once we receive your request and the amendment fee, we will evaluate your request for processing and respond in writing should there be a need for additional information. 

Changes to birth certificates include:

Affidavit to Correct information – This form may be used to correct information on the original birth certificate. This form must be completed and signed before a Notary Public. To change any information on the certificate other than the name of a child between 1-7 years of age, two documents described on the first page of this form must accompany the notarized Affidavit. There is a $10 processing fee to make the correction and an additional $10 fee for the updated certificate.

Affidavit to Change Name within 12 Months of Birth – This Affidavit may be used to change the name of a child within the first 12 months after birth. This Affidavit must be accompanied by a notarized written request from both parents in order to change the name of a child on the original birth certificate. If the father is not named on the certificate, or has not signed the Affidavit of Parentage, a court order is required. Click here to download the form.

If the child is over one year of age, a Court Order or Legal Proceedings (document from the court) is required to change the child’s name. 

Affidavit to Add a Given Name – This affidavit may be used to add a name to the birth certificate when there is no given name on the original certificate. This form must be completed and signed before a Notary Public. If the person whose name is to be added is 1-6 years of age, only the notarized affidavit signed by the parents must be submitted. If the person’s name to be added is 7 years of age or older, two documents described on the first page of this form are required. Click here to download the form. ​

Gender Reassignment (Beginning October 1, 2015) - An individual born in Maryland whose sex has been changed or who has been diagnosed with an intersex condition may apply for a Certificate of Live Birth that reflects a change in sex designation.   If a name change is also being requested, a court order must be presented. Click here to download the form.

Affidavit of Parentage - Right after your baby is born, you can encourage the father to start the paternity process by signing the Affidavit of Parentage while you are still in the hospital. This action will allow the father’s name to be placed on the birth certificate. You can also take the form home with you, complete it and send it back to the Division of Vital Records. If you choose to take the form home, each parent must sign the Affidavit in the presence of a notary public. You may contact the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene/Division of Vital Records at 410-764-3038 to request an Affidavit. You can establish paternity using an Affidavit up until your child’s 18th birthday.

Rescinding an Affidavit - A person who has signed an Affidavit of Parentage claiming to be the parent of a child may rescind (cancel) the Affidavit by completing a Rescission Form for Affidavit of Parentage and signing and dating it in the presence of a notary public within 60 days of the date the Affidavit was signed by both parties. If more than 60 days have passed from the date the Affidavit was signed, the Rescission Form will NOT rescind the Affidavit. If the Parents signed on different dates, count from the date that the last parent signed.

After the expiration of the 60 day period, the Affidavit can only be nullified by a court order, upon a finding of fraud, duress or material mistake of fact.

You may obtain a Rescission Form by calling the Maryland Department of Health/Division of Vital Records at 410-764-3038.

Death Corrections

Death certificates can be corrected under certain circumstances in accordance with Md. Health General Code Ann. § 4-214. To request an amendment/correction to a death certificate, complete the Request for Correction/Amendment to Death Certificate Form​ and submit to the DVR. Because each request is unique, additional documentation also will be required and may vary, according to the type of correction requested. The documents required are described on the second page of this form. The required fee to make a correction to the Death Certificate is $10.00.