Maryland’s Helpline, 211 press 1, is a free and confidential, 24 hour a day, 365 days a year information service for individuals and family members facing mental illness and/or substance use disorders. This service provides help and support, and referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations. 211 press 1 can also help if you are feeling overwhelmed, or feeling like hurting yourself or someone else. If you are in IMMEDIATE DANGER of hurting yourself or someone else, please call 911.
Another way to get help and information about services for mental illness/substance use disorders is to contact the local Behavioral Health Authority office in the county where you live. They are equipped to help you determine what services you may need and how to connect with them in your local community. A list of the Local Behavioral Health Offices can be found here
How do you know if you or a loved one needs mental health help?
- Difficulty coping with daily life;
- Feeling sad, stressed or worried;
- Not sleeping or eating well;
- Thoughts of hurting yourself or others;
- Experiencing strange thoughts (e.g., hearing voices).
How do you know if you or a loved one needs substance use disorder help?
- Feeling that you have to use alcohol or drugs regularly — this can be daily or even several times a day
- Over time, needing more alcohol or drugs to get the same effect
- Making certain that you maintain a supply of alcohol or drugs
- Spending money on alcohol or drugs, even though you can't afford it
- Not meeting obligations and work responsibilities, or cutting back on social or recreational activities because of alcohol or drug use
- Driving or doing other risky activities when you're under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing in your attempts to control or stop using alcohol or drugs
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you attempt to stop taking alcohol or drugs
For more information on mental health and substance use disorders, please click here
If you are looking for information or help with problem gambling, please click here
If you are a veteran looking for help, please click here