By an act of the General Assembly approved by the Governor on May 5, 1959, Maryland authorized the creation of a “Maximum Security Hospital” to be built in Jessup. It was named after Dr. Clifton T. Perkins, a distinguished psychiatrist who arrived in Maryland from Boston with a mission to reform the conditions in our public hospitals. He was a leader who brought about the desegregation of Maryland psychiatric hospitals in the face of considerable public antipathy and with the necessity of federal court action. Stuart B. Silver, for whom the Silver Wing of the hospital is named, is a past director of the Mental Hygiene Administration and was once the Superintendent of CTPHC. The Silver Wing is the maximum-security area of the hospital.
The maximum-security area of the hospital constructed in 1959 was built on two levels with six wings jutting into a recreation yard and surrounded by a large wall. Between 1972 and 1984, three additional wings were added: the Rehabilitation Wing, the Administration Building and an eighty-bed Medium Security Wing. In October of 1994, the Stuart B. Silver Wing of CTPHC was completed. This wing houses the admission ward (20 bed unit) five residential wards (30 bed units), a medical clinic, dining facility, chapel, library, conference center, family visiting rooms, and gymnasium. This wing replaces the original 1959 structure. In 2003 the newly renovated Rehabilitation Wing was reopened. The hospital is situated on a forty-five acre tract one mile south of Jessup on Dorsey Run Road.
Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center is licensed for 250 beds and is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)
201 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-2399
(410) 767-6500 or 1-877-463-3464