As President of the Maryland Hospital for the Insane, Dr. Richard Sprigg-Stewart was highly effective in obtaining authorization and funding from the Maryland General Assembly for the construction of the new facility at Spring Grove. He chaired the committee that selected the Hospital's current site in Catonsville, and he personally contributed $1,000 towards the purchase of the land in 1853. Relieved of his duties during the Civil War (after he refused to sign an oath of loyalty to the Union) Dr. Sprigg-Stewart was reinstated in 1868, and he was Superintendent when the Hospital moved its operations to Spring Grove in 1872.
201 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-2399
(410) 767-6500 or 1-877-463-3464