• English

    Google Translate Disclaimer

    The Maryland Department of Information Technology (“DoIT”) offers translations of the content through Google Translate. Because Google Translate is an external website, DoIT does not control the quality or accuracy of translated content. All DoIT content is filtered through Google Translate which may result in unexpected and unpredictable degradation of portions of text, images and the general appearance on translated pages. Google Translate may maintain unique privacy and use policies. These policies are not controlled by DoIT and are not associated with DoIT’s privacy and use policies. After selecting a translation option, users will be notified that they are leaving DoIT’s website. Users should consult the original English content on DoIT’s website if there are any questions about the translated content.

    DoIT uses Google Translate to provide language translations of its content. Google Translate is a free, automated service that relies on data and technology to provide its translations. The Google Translate feature is provided for informational purposes only. Translations cannot be guaranteed as exact or without the inclusion of incorrect or inappropriate language. Google Translate is a third-party service and site users will be leaving DoIT to utilize translated content. As such, DoIT does not guarantee and does not accept responsibility for, the accuracy, reliability, or performance of this service nor the limitations provided by this service, such as the inability to translate specific files like PDFs and graphics (e.g. .jpgs, .gifs, etc.).

    DoIT provides Google Translate as an online tool for its users, but DoIT does not directly endorse the website or imply that it is the only solution available to users. All site visitors may choose to use alternate tools for their translation needs. Any individuals or parties that use DoIT content in translated form, whether by Google Translate or by any other translation services, do so at their own risk. DoIT is not liable for any loss or damages arising out of, or issues related to, the use of or reliance on translated content. DoIT assumes no liability for any site visitor’s activities in connection with use of the Google Translate functionality or content.

    The Google Translate service is a means by which DoIT offers translations of content and is meant solely for the convenience of non-English speaking users of the website. The translated content is provided directly and dynamically by Google; DoIT has no direct control over the translated content as it appears using this tool. Therefore, in all contexts, the English content, as directly provided by DoIT is to be held authoritative.

    Rice Auditorium, Spring Grove Hospital Center

    The Thomas-Rice Auditorium

    (As It Appears Today)


    Thomas-Rice Auditorium - Opened 1936. The building that is commonly known today as the "Rice Auditorium" is more formally named the "Thomas-Rice Auditorium," in honor of two men: Robert W. Thomas and G. Herbert Rice. Both Thomas and Rice were members of the Spring Grove State Hospital Board of Managers at the time the auditorium was built; and, not unlike Arthur D. Foster, after whom the Foster-Wade Building is named, Mr. Rice served as the Board's Secretary-Treasurer. The following description of the of the then brand new Thomas-Rice Auditorium appeared in a publication written in the year that it opened:

    "The new auditorium building is now finished; it contains two floors. The upper one will be used as an amusement and lecture hall, with a seating of 750. The floor space [is] sixty by one hundred and four feet and [is] four times as large as the one now in use.* The lower floor will be used for an occupational therapy department, and will afford much more space than the old one." (The Beacon, 1936)

    An Annual Report, written several years before the building was completed, references a plan to use it for performances by an "orchestra of the musically inclined patients." However, evidently the referenced orchestra wasn't actually organized until 1938. (See Orchestra.) The auditorium's two original carbon-arc movie projectors and sound system are still located in its projection room above the balcony.For many years feature films were shown in the auditorium twice a week -- on Wednesdays and Sundays. Dances were held there every Friday. While the upper floor of the building remains in regular use for the purpose for which it was originally intended, i.e. as "an amusement and lecture hall," the lower floor was converted a number of years ago into chapels and office space for the hospital's Pastoral Services program. Today the building has two pipe organs -- one on each floor. However, it should be noted that neither of these musical instruments was original to the building. The circa 1927 Wurlitzer-style theatre organ that is currently located in the auditorium section was installed in the building by the Free State Theatre Organ Society in the early 1990s.It is used on a regular basis for organ concerts and special screenings of silent movies. The second pipe organ, which is located in lower section of the building, was installed for use during religious services in the main chapel.

    The Rice Auditorium Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ, c. 1927 Projection Room, Rice Auditorium Lobby Ceiling, Rice Auditorium  

    Click on the Thumbnail to View the Larger Image.

    * The completion of the Thomas-Rice Auditorium in 1936 allowed the hospital to convert the Main Building's Amusement Hall and the Occupational Therapy Department, also located in the Main Building, into additional patient wards and a new dining room. This conversion created space for an additional 90 patients in the overcrowded Main Building.​