Social Work Licensure in Maryland

In order to practice social work in Maryland or to refer to oneself as a social worker, an individual must be licensed by the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners.

There are two ways to apply for licensure 1) by examination and 2) by endorsement.

There are four license types in Maryland:

  • LBSW- Licensed Bachelor Social Worker – BSW
  • LMSW- Licensed Masters Social Worker – MSW
  • LCSW- Licensed Certified Social Worker – MSW/LMSW
  • *plus at least 2 years of SW experience under the supervision of a LCSW or LCSW-C
  • LCSW-C– Licensed Certified Social Worker–Clinical - MSW/LMSW
  • *plus at least 2 years of clinical SW experience under the supervision of a LCSW-C

To apply online:

Hello, The Board recognizes the anxiety that comes along with the application process. We make every attempt to inform applicants of the status of their application within two weeks of receipt of all documents needed. Then we process the applications as quickly as possible. Please remember that the Board has up to 60 days to inform applicants of their status. If you have not heard from the Board within the time frame allotted by law please contact the Board supervisor, Tyrone Willoughby Jr LCSW-C.

To obtain an update on the status of your Online application: please go to the online applicaton portal: Online Application

You will need your Application ID which is sent to the email address on the application.​


If you would like to apply by paper 

To request a paper application only: Send a message to the email listed below

For LBSW or LMSW by Examination -

For LCSW or LCSW-C by Examination -